httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Make mod_rewrite use APR locking.
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:10:21 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> dumb questions:
>
> 1) the code changes are unrelated to the caveats you mentioned,
>    so this is pure forward progress, right?  you're just
>    saying that the environment in which you tested these changes
>    was modified to work around other issues?

The code changes are not related to the caveats. I listed the caveats
to explain why someone who builds with my patch will still not see a
working mod_rewrite. Mod_rewrite will not function correctly without
the workarounds or real fixes for the caveats.

> 2) does mod_rewrite need to manage/specify the log file name
>    (if indeed there is a lock file)?  apr knows whether or not
>    there is an actual file and can make up a name when appropriate;
>    a very minor issue, but I'm curious

There are two locks used in mod_rewrite. One is to synchronize logging
and the other is to synchronize access to external mapping programs.
There is a mod_rewrite directive (RewriteLock) to specify a lock file
name for use in synchronizing communications with external mapping programs.
This value is passed to the apr locking functions. The lock for logging
is an "unnamed" semaphore. The RewriteLock is only required if the
RewriteMap directive is used to define an external mapping program.

--

Paul J. Reder

Noise proves nothing.  Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles
as if she laid an asteroid.
		-- Mark Twain
(An apt quote in this political season.)