httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <har...@libero.it>
Subject Re: UDP support in APR/network_io
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:58:36 GMT
Hi,

Dean Gaudet wrote:

> this seems to only implement "connected" udp sockets -- shouldn't we wrap
> the whole API -- send, sendto, sendmsg, recv, recvfrom, recvmsg?

I use recvfrom in ap_recv and sendto in ap_send. I tried to adapt more
or less the current scheme implemented. But you are correct the others
are not in the API. IMHO, APR is also not fully TCP either. APR is
made for use in Apache and not generic.

If this would become a seperate generic package it needs
a lot of adaptions.

For instance, it is not possible to "poll" or "do a select"
on pipes and sockets in 1 time. Why, because they use different
apr-types (ap_file_t and ap_socket_t).

For instance, no unix-domain sockets can be used.
WIN32 does not support this. Although, a fallback
option could be pipes on WIN32. A problem this creates
is that teh apr-types are different.

Harrie
 mailto:harrie@libero.it
   http://digilander.iol.it/harrie/
  phone: +39-0331974135
 postal: via Galilei 13, 21018 Sesto Calende (VA), Italy