httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: [module porting] mod_proxy
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:58:27 GMT
James Sutherland wrote:

> Is a full-blown Apache setup the right solution here, though, if it is
> really just buffering the network data? Would a better approach not be to
> have a very simple, lightweight front-end reverse proxy (more or less just
> accepting connections, then passing data back and forth)?
>
> (As I said earlier, an SSL version would be nice too, allowing a more
> effective division of labour between multiple machines.)

Minimally, a useful proxy will support https and ftp as well as http. It
should (and I believe this is an enhancement) also support free
translation between client and server protocols where possible. Proxying
https is usually transparent by definition.

The nontransparency of a proxy using an apache thread/process is IMHO an
advantage in that protocol handlers defined for the proxy can be used
elsewhere, and vice versa. Not to mention other APR functions already
available.

Consider the case of an SSL encrypting/decrypting proxy. Why rewrite the
wheel when mod_ssl or Apache SSL will already have provided many of the
necessary functions?
--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko