httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject mod_proxy and buff.c
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:58:56 GMT
Hi all,

I have a bit of a sticky problem, maybe someone with a better
understanding of buff.c could point my confused brain in the right
direction :)

Right now the need exists for mod_proxy to store updated headers that
are returned as part of a 304 Not Modified response on a cache entry
revalidation. The most sensible place to store these headers are at the
end of the cache file - here they are easy to write (and overwrite) as
new headers replace old ones.

The problem is that when we read the cache file in, we need to read the
cache file non-linearly, ie we need to read in the cache file header,
then the request and response headers, then jump to the end to read any
updated headers, then back to the start of the body ready to ship data.

The ap_bgets() function that is being used in all of this does not allow
lseek'ing to my understanding, which prevents me from jumping to the end
of the file to fetch the updated headers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Is putting headers
at the end of the file the most efficient way of doing this?

Can I use read() and write() functions instead to read the headers in?
Or is this the "wrong" way to do it?

What about splitting body and headers into two separate files? Or would
this cause too much of a resource drain?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham