httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: remove dirs from CVS?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:29:44 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:28:36PM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > I know that will keep me from getting them, but we really don't have
> > anything in those directories anymore, and I would prefer if we could just
> > get rid of them all together.  Are you telling me that once you add a
> > directory to the CVS repository, that directory stays there forever?
>
> Well, naturally. If I want to be able to check out a version of the
> tree from back before the directory was deleted, I want to see that
> directory.
>
> Now, if you're talking about a directory that should have never
> existed, then you're talking about revising history. That would
> definitely involve mucking with the repository itself, and that's not
> kosher.

Well, it sort of is, if there's agreement the thing *never* should have
been there (and I've only ever had someone check code into a repository
once that needed this) you can always do

cvs admin -o<range> files

and get rid of all the files that were ever in the directory,
permanently, and then remove the directory from the repository (making
sure no one has the thing checked out first). This is Real Severe, and
should be reserved only for the most evil things that got committed. You
are basically wiping all record that the files and directory ever
existed, even from the attic.

The canonical example is

cvs admin -o:R_1_02 .

which removes everything up to and including R_1_02 from the current
directory. It will also mess up the accounting (same numerical revision
number will be assigned) for any files which did not change between
R_1_02 and the next revision's tag, which is bad.

IMHO, it doesn't sound like this stuff is so bad that -P wouldn't do.
--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko