httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject PATCH: MaxRequestsPerChild doc
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:26:56 GMT
At ApacheCon, I was talking to some folks about what Win32 does with the
MaxRequestsPerChild directive. In
http://www.apache.org/docs/windows.html, it says that Windows honors
this directive the same as under Unix, while at
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxrequestsperchild it says
that it completely ignores it.

What actually happens is that it does in fact kill, and restart, the
child process after MaxRequestsPerChild requests. However, since there
is only one child, and it's not really forked, it causes the onfig files
to be re-read, which does not happen under Unix for new children.
Anyways, here's a diff:

2034c2034,2037
< <P>This directive has no effect on Win32.
---
> <P>Setting this to something non-zero on Win32 has the (perhaps unexpected)
> effect of causing the child process (there's only one) to be restarted, and
> the configuration file to be re-read. This is convenient for testing, but
> should probably not be attempted in a production environment.</P>

Please let me know if I'm doing this wrong, since this is my first, but
hopefully not last, patch. I'm one of those strange, sick, individuals
that enjoys writing documentation.

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/