httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwba...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Can't make sense out of process configuration directives
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:28:47 GMT
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > 2) Change StartServers to MinProcesses.
>
> StartProcesses would be better, eh?

No.  Start* seem silly to me.  Nobody cares how many processes are
present at time t=0.  The important measure is the number of processes
at t > 0.  With MinProcesses, MaxProcesses, MinSpareProcesses, and
MaxSpareProcesses, you can easily see that at all times there will be at
least MinProcesses and at most MaxProcesses, and at least
MinSpareProcesses and at most MaxSpareProcesses will be idle.  If you
have StartProcesses, you are saying that the number of processes has a
lower limit at MinSpareProcesses when t > 0.

-jwb