httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: libtool in APR.
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:32:36 GMT
libtool is really designed as a tool to create "portable" libraries
to various platforms. If your project _is_ a library, then it's
function is to configure itself so the library can be built with
all the magic codes required for shared, static, dynamic, etc.
As it stands, APR code is core code for 2.0, so it's built as
a library simply as an "intermediary" step when compiling 2.0.
We could just as easily link in all the *.o files. So for
right now, libtool isn't required. All we are using it
for it to "handle" DSO capability, both with internal modules
and external ones. We already know how to do this, but it's
never been very elegant. If dsotool will handle this, then
I'm all for it. But it's not here yet, so we have to worry
about the time. I'm sure that if a prelim copy was made available
to ASF, then it could be worked on in short order, but I'm
unsure how Ralf feels about that. I'm guessing that he would
prefer that as his package that he donates/licenses to Apache.

My concern with any external package is that, invariably, we have
patches to them. And sometimes they are accepted, and sometimes
they end up in a black hole. The impression I've rec'd by MANY
people is that libtool is more of the black-hole variety.
Any library tool that is supposed to be super portable and
make life easier for everyone yet breaks hopelessly on "traditional"
'ar's that truncate seems semi brain-dead to me. It gets back
to the how portable to we wish to be, and do we want to maintain
compatibility with OSs that we currently support. If the answer
is "yes" then libtool will be a stumbling block. If the answer
is "no" then we can rip out a LOT of code that exists simply
for the legacy platforms and focus on advanced OSs that already
have threads and stuff.
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"

View raw message