httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: binary backwards compatability.
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:28:06 GMT
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 07:13:42PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> It is assumed that modules are compiled with the same flags as Apache.
> That is what the "apxs -q" stuff is for -- find out what flags were used
> for the Apache compile.

Right, but this doesn't do any good when your binary modules are
compiled with a particular set of flags. Then you're forced to compile
your web server with those flags.

For example, Red Hat compiles for 386s, and Mandrake compiles for
Pentiums. I don't know about the alignment setup on each processor,
but this might mean that binary module developers have to build different
modules for different distributions. And I personally compile
everything with -march=pentiumpro. Some people compile with different
compilers. So the module maintainer has to build a bunch of binary
modules, or maybe just forget about supporting certain setups.

Or there has to be better wrappers around all the structures, with
accessor methods on every single .*_rec. Sounds like you're already
building a whole new wrapper interface at this point.