httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Wells <jr...@semiotek.com>
Subject Re: License
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:07:07 GMT
So far as I know the only licenses which have been approved have been
those brought to the OSI by its principals. No license submitted to the
OSI mailing list by some independent party has been approved. I've been
reading the list for about a year now, and I've never seen it happen.
There was some talk of this on the list awhile back, and nobody else
seems to have seen it happen either. If I'm wrong, please cite the
example because I'd like to know about it :-)

What this means in practice is that licenses submitted by large
corporations get prompt approval; and licenses submitted by anyone
else go nowhere. This is because the large corporations opensource
efforts are high profile and gain the involvement of key OSI people.

The consensus on the list (license-discuss@opensource.org) has been
that you should draft a license which you think fits the definition
and simply start using it. If your software is important enough to
draw attention, then sooner or later someone will be interested in
seeing to it that your license is compliant. At that point one of
the OSI principals would likely approach you and your license would
wind its way through the approval process.

If you post your license to the license-discuss list you WILL likely
get some useful feedback, but no approval, unless you are high
profile enough. In which case, go to Perens, etc., directly rather
than via the list.

Likely what is needed over there is some screening process. eg: A
license cannot be submitted for approval until it's being used by
at least two or three independent projects or something, or unless
some fee is paid, or some principal backs it. The problem of course
is that 100 people submitted licenses and swamped the OSI, so they
just gave up on approving licenses unless they were high profile.

Or so I think.

Justin