httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: binary backwards compatability.
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:09:41 GMT
>newer Apache release. The module vendor knows whether it can safely run
>based on the changes to the API and can make a decision whether to support
>their module on the newer Apache, or do another release.

But Randy, the reason we have MMN is because module vendors aren't
involved in the decision when a user takes one of their existing
binaries and attempts to use it with a newer API.  It is simply impossible
for older code to check for future changes in a source-level API.

Given enough rope, module vendors will simply hang their users.
Our source-level API doesn't allow that to happen.

>This is a simple problem that could nearly be solved if the server did not
>have the final decision as to whether to run the binary module. Solving this
>would go a long way toward convincing other companies doing add-ons for
>Netscape, IIS, etc. to port their application to Apache.

mod_nsapi, mod_isapi, SAPI, whatever.  What they do is add an appropriate
amount of overhead so that those people who want binary compatibility
can have it and pay the associated cost, while the others who don't need
it don't have to pay any cost.

....Roy