httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: binary backwards compatability.
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:01:51 GMT
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 09:51:34PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Hmmm. I don't think that ANSI can re_order_ structs. I think it
> says stuff about not expecting anything non-portable about
> alignment between struct entries. But it can't shuffle those
> entries around.

Well, lets say that I compile Apache with gcc -march=i386 on one box
and gcc -march=pentiumpro on another. I'm guessing (but haven't
checked) that alignment of the structures will change. Maybe different
cc's on the same platform will produce different alignments as well.
This is just as bad as field reordering.