httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: layered I/O (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:40:37 GMT
>i wasn't aware that there were ANSI standard definitions for
>"IO-layering"!
>
>roy, could you point me at the REQUIREMENTS document which defined these
>things?  or did you just pull them out of your head today?

It isn't an ANSI standard, but there is plenty of literature on
architectural styles which you might find useful.  It'll probably
require a couple months for you to do a second-order traversal
of my dissertation background material, but the gist of it is in
the first three chapters:

  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/arch_survey_20.pdf

That paper is still unfinished (needs the PUSH stuff integrated
and the comparison framework updated).  Please don't forward this
address elsewhere.  No, I don't use the terms layered-IO or relayed-IO
in that paper (the terms I do use are much uglier) -- what matters
is the distinctions in behavior, not what you call it.

....Roy