httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: layered I/O (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:21:31 GMT
>you're right, i never looked at Ryan's code.  but maybe you didn't catch
>his post saying that he didn't do this in a vacuum -- i was present last
>thursday when we discussed this stuff on a whiteboard.

I hope that whiteboard had code on it, because otherwise you owe
me a beer.

>and honestly, i don't know why you're insinuating that a "single function
>would set the metadata for the entire response".  in fact, the proposal
>was that each handler could play with the metadata... which achieves the
>same thing you're asking for.

Sorry, that post was responding to someone else's proposal (Jeff's?)
in which the filter set a request_rec value like content-type.  Ryan's
code could indeed play with the metadata.

>you seem to be talking about a server which is a completely different
>architecture than apache.  sounds great, got some code for us?  this could
>delay the 2.0 development greatly if we're waiting for it.

I do believe I said that in my first message.  But what I also said is
that this interim "solution" is not a solution, so adding it now would
just be bloating the code with something that will be a nightmare
to maintain. *shrug*

....Roy