httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: libltdl?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:24:01 GMT
Also, there are issues with libtool and it's reliable use with "old"
versions of 'ar' that truncate _names_ to 16 or less chars. Basically,
when libtool recreates an archive, if the names have been truncated
and lack the '.o' or '.lo' extension, they aren't loaded in the
archive. Nasty. This might be a commonly known problem, but I've
never heard it before and it just bit me under PHP4, where I'm
hoping to find some workarounds and/or contact the libtool
maintainers.

David Reid wrote:

> Up until now we haven't required libtool to build APR.  The recent dso
> stuff changes all that!  Now, I don't mind if we have to add libtool
> usage to APR, but I'd rather not.  APR is supposed to be "stand-alone"
> as a library.  I know the edges have been "blurring" slightly but up
> until this change you could build APR by simply doing
> autoconf;configure;make and all was OK.  You still can for OS2 or BeOS,
> but as the Unix dso code needs ltdl you can't.
>
> So do we just go back to using the code from 1.3.x with all it's
> variants for Unix?  It'd be more in keeping with APR to date and
> shouldn't really change anything.
>
> d.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"