httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Server auto-reconfiguration
Date Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:21:09 GMT
On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:04:49PM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> > Yes, but this was just the example.  We are talking dynamically
> > reconfiguring any given part of apache.  Think configuration web
> > interface.
>
> yeah, graceful restart handles that just fine.

How badly does graceful restart hurt a running server during high
loads? If an ISP wants to let customers dork with their vhost
configuration, I'd think restarting could become a serious drag on
performance. Compared to that, some reader-writer locks on the config
data might not be so bad. (Note my wishy-washyness. I haven't measured
or observed any of these cases, you know this stuff 10**6 times better
than I do).

If we have a dynamic configuration API, then some smart guy can
implement ACL-restricted configuration changes for users, meaning that
we can eliminate .htaccess, and most of slow directory walk that goes
with it.

And to support WebDAV, we have to have some sort of dynamic
reconfiguration. Now, I think this really belongs in the filesystem
abstraction layer, but it illustrates that something in the web server
will have to do this.