httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James G Smith <JGSm...@JameSmith.Com>
Subject Re: Apache auto-reconfiguration discussions
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:45:11 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
>Typically, discussions just continue right on new-httpd without regard to
>interest level. People are quite familiar with the 'd' key and when they
>feel like using it :-) Fragmenting discussions and splitting archives
>doesn't help much when people want to go back and review discussions /
>rationales / designs.

This is a good point -- the other list is mainly for those actually
wanting to work on or near the code itself.  When we get the details
ironed out on something, I'll be posting to new-httpd for comment.
It is not intended to bypass new-httpd and the expertise that is
on that list.

>Personally... I'm with Dean on this. Code talks. When all is said and
>done, the project members become truly interested only when code shows up.
>Sure, there may be some minor discussion about what the right design could
>be, but 9 times out of 10, the members wait for code, *then* say the
>design is wrong :-). Wasted effort? Possibly. I think it boils down to the
>implementor not being able to *succinctly* state their intended design.
>When it hits a page of text, the eyeballs glaze up and people just wait
>for code...

Hopefully, we can produce some code before too long -- when we do,
I will surely be posting it to new-httpd!  The other list is mainly
for the brainstorming that leads up to code production - that and
organizational communication between those wanting to work on the
code.
James Smith - jgsmith@jamesmith.com | http://www.jamesmith.com/
            jsmith@sourcegarden.org | http://sourcegarden.org/
              jgsmith@tamu.edu      | http://cis.tamu.edu/systems/opensystems/