httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James G Smith <JGSm...@JameSmith.Com>
Subject Re: Server auto-reconfiguration
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:28:19 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

>> It's also too early to start locking out possible solutions to the
>> problem just because we want to start coding.  We don't have to get
>> this done by the end of this week, so I'm waiting until something
>> aesthetically pleasing comes along.  The best I've seen thus far
>> is shared memory for the communication, with appropriate locking.
>> Most of what we need in the Apache core then is the shared memory
>> management and the equivalent of a HUP without having to send a
>> signal.  Neither of these should be too difficult given the APR
>> and the existing Apache configuration code.
>
>I am also not convinced that this is necessary, but if you are going to do
>it, please do not use shared memroy.  We have a pipe that goes between the
>parent and all of the childeren in Apache 2.0.  This would seem to me to
>be a much cleaner and less expensive way to implement this.

Good! I will definitely keep that in mind.  I still haven't had time to go
through the all the 2.0 source yet, though I've looked through some.  If this
is a fairly standard thing in 2.0 (that is, we can use it regardless of the
memory model), then it should solve a lot of the shared memory problems --
such as locking and some signaling.
James Smith - jgsmith@jamesmith.com | http://www.jamesmith.com/
            jsmith@sourcegarden.org | http://sourcegarden.org/
              jgsmith@tamu.edu      | http://cis.tamu.edu/systems/opensystems/