httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 alpha. (again) :)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:19:29 GMT
On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:08:44PM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Apache's job is to serve web pages

Yup. Anything that can be done by a separate package should be, and
any piece that can be made into a general library which isn't specific
to Apache should be.

> APR's job
> is to provide other projects an easy way to make their code portable, and
> to provide a library of functions that they won't need to re-implement.

And here's the rub. I think there needs to be more of a focus here
than that.  With this as the only crieteria for inclusion in APR, it
then can swallow the functionality of GUI widget libraries, XML
parsers, cryptography code, database access interfaces, PostScript
parsing, WebDAV filesystem abstraction, and distributed DoS attacks.
:)