httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 alpha. (again) :)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:36:58 GMT
On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:17:43AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Just one thought - if apr is the Apache Portable Runtime, then all the
> functions under discussion are definately runtime functions that will be
> portable and interest the ASF communities.

What is a "runtime" function anyway? :)

My only objection is software project structuring. My gut tells me that
a project essentially devoted to including a bunch of cool, portable
code won't be very well focused.

Now, I don't have as much objection to bundling a bunch of pieces
together, and having a common build script that compiles them all, but
I think the place for that is Apache, not APR.

> But if they defy inclusion under the apr banner, why don't we simply
> move them to src/main - src/include and bind them to the kernal
> rather than go to the headache of creating a library for them?

Because we still want the code to be easily modularized. It's just
better code design in the long run, and it also becomes easier for
other projects to make use of the code.