httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: navigator charset bug
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:05:37 GMT
>Suggestions?  Using a meta tag in the error document instead of a
>charset paramaeter in the HTTP headers supposedly avoids that, but
>I really don't want to do that, both for conceptual and implementation
>reasons.

Is this different from simply putting up a page in utf-7 that
links to the other site?  We are getting pretty close to the point
where fixing this on the server doesn't solve anything.

The "hard" fix would be to replace escape_html with the same interpreter
code as a browser so that it can autodetect the same special characters.

The "likely-to-get-us-abused" fix would be to restrict canned messages to
iso-8859-1.  After all, the canned message is in English, and if a site
has bothered to change that then they will also change the charset and
they can write their own bleedin encoder.

....Roy