httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roger McCalman <ro...@runcircle.co.uk>
Subject Re: 2.0 header file rearrangement
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:32:57 GMT
On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 12:54:16PM +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> "Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> >
> > > One thing that Ryan and I've discussed is for us to start _really_
> > > utilizing the power of CVS. Things like branches and tags. Up
> > > to now we've "resisted" any but the most basic functions, but
> > > we should really start taking full advantage of what CVS give us.
> >
> > My experiences with CVS branches (aside from the vendor branch) have
> > all been negative.  All it does is mess up the logs.  It is generally
> > more effective to just tag and copy the repository, particularly since
> > that allows you to do widespread experimental deletes/moves without
> > trashing the main branch until you merge the finished bits.

In most places and projects I have worked people have been very frightened
of using branches but after a few hours tutution and explantation most come
round to using them. It makes a lot of sense and as Paul said it is a BIG
advantage to have all the changes in 1 repository as it makes reviewing
the history simple with cvs diff.

Cheers, Roger