httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <...@linuxcare.com.au>
Subject Re: License text in source
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:21:49 GMT
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 03:42:32PM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> one positive benefit of moving the license to a separate file is that it
> could have reduced noise in various diff sets... pretty much the same
> reasoning as my anti-"coding style fix"-commit rants :)
>
> most GNU projects use the single-license-file method.

But all the GNU source I've seen is careful to include a sizeable
header that gives the crucial provisions in every file:

>   To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
> to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
> convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
> the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.
>
>     <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
>     Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>
>
>     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>     (at your option) any later version.
>
>     This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>     but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>     MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>     GNU General Public License for more details.
>
>     You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>     along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
>     Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

One consideration is that copyright and contract law varies between
countries, so perhaps it's necessary to be safe by putting this much
text.  Perhaps the best thing to do would be to change to using these
paragraphs, with a pointer to the license.

--
Martin Pool, (null), Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990