httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: License text in source
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:38:01 GMT
I know we've had this discussion before, and I'm fine with
either way from a purely personal point of view. If one
solution "dilutes" somehow what we're trying to do, then
I'm against that, of course. I'd prefer to trade bytes
and minimal work in order to keep maximum protection.

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > That's what I have in mind... Save some bytes (several actually),
> > make maintaining it much easier, and do the update to rev1.1.
> >
> > "tool"?? I was planning an ugly script that scanned the head of each
> > file for the License and then cut'ting that out and then pushing
> > the magical text/url/pointer/notice in. I like the idea of a
> > "tool" much better :)
>
> I am sorry. I'd prefer to a) leave this to the licence committe to
> answer and b) note that this is a no-go for me.
>
> If you put in a pointer; the thing that pointer points to can be changed
>  at any moment. A licence however
> is a thing you agree with at a specific moment in time for a specific
> file in time. This is especially important when you start to merge
> things from different open source projects (say re-use the ap_pool
> stuff, or mix & match modules from older versions). You cannot have the
> thing you agree to change at will :-)
>
> Dw

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"