httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <>
Subject Re: 2.0 bug reports
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:30:44 GMT
On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 01:15:44AM -0500, Jim Winstead wrote:

> I know Brian appears to have some plans with this in connection
> with Tigris (, although this crappy net connection
> won't actually let me view web stuff so I can check to see if
> there's relevant content up there yet).

Yeah, Scarab is probably the right place to do it, but I have some
reservations about an all-Java solution for this kind of thing.  Java
has pretty high overhead for a problem that can start as a very simple

> One epiphany I had today is that the really missing component is
> a simple (but extensible) database schema for handling such a system
> so people could implement their own front-ends on top of it (using
> Java servlets or applications, PHP, Perl, email handlers, IRC bots,
> whatever).

I quite like that approach.  I think the database by itself is not
enough, however.  As well as updating records we also need to send
notifications to other areas of the system: perhaps this could be as
simple as running external scripts when events happen.

For example, we could begin with Bugzilla, retain its database
structure, and gradually add features and architectural improvements.

Of course, Jon and Brian and Tigris are committed to doing this,
whereas I'm just bs-ing.

Martin Pool, (null), Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990,
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.