httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <...@linuxcare.com.au>
Subject Re: 2.0 bug reports
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:02:58 GMT
On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 10:45:42PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:

I'm not saying Bugzilla is perfect, but it's arguably the best thing going.

> 1. people aren't using it.
> 2. it isn't documented how to use it.

There' some documentation hyperlinked from within Bugzilla.

> 3. it isn't tested, and was just thrown together at the last minute

That's true.

> 4. it is a pain to submit reports

It would be good to have an email interface.  Is there anything else
you had in mind?

> 5. it doesn't send out email (as far as I can see...) when bugs are
> entered, etc. which is CRITICAL.

That can be configured in.

> It doesn't appear to allow updates via
> email, which is critical.

> 6. it lets anyone do whatever they want with any bugs, as far as I can
> see.  I don't think it makes sense to let anyone come in and muck with
> bugs however they want to.

That should be configured out.

> 7. it is silly to have two different bug systems that everyone has to deal
> with.

Well, hopefully this is a transitional situation.

I missed the thread that decided to use Bugzilla, but Ryan said that
it had gone through the proper process.  Is that not the case?

I'm pretty interested in improving the available free
issue/problem/bug/task tracking software and using that to help out
Apache.  For example, I'm happy to help get Bugzilla into working
order and to enhance it to add the things the httpd group wants that
are missing.  I'd like to know for sure first that Bugzilla is
actually the one you want to use.

> And we still have the problem for 1.3 that gnats doesn't work.  It seems
> to be pretty silly to me to switch to new software for 2.0 bugs because
> people who can do something don't care about 1.3 bugs and don't care to
> actually make the existing bugdb work again since they never use it.

We can convert the existing reports to  Bugzilla in a day or so's work.

--
Martin Pool, (null), Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990