httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Feedback: Apache 2.0a1
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:53:09 GMT

Although I currently do not work on Apache 2.0 myself, I don't wanted to
let 2.0a1 pass without at least having a quick look and give a little
bit of feedback. Here is something for the to-do list of our 2.0 hackers
(most are trivial things, some others are not):

o apache_2.0a1.tar.gz tarball unpacks into apache_2.0/ directory
  => should be apache_2.0a1/

o a top-level Makefile.tmpl from APACI is included
  => should be not existing, because APACI is not longer used at all

o src/ has config.guess, config.sub, ltconfig and ltmain.sh
  included as _symlinks_ to /usr/share/libtool/*.
  => files have to be present as _copies_, not symlinks

o builtconf cannot be used:
  |   :> ./buildconf
  |   make: don't know how to make /sw/bin/../share/aclocal/libtool.m4. Stop
  => src/build/build.mk is broken, because
  |   @n=`helpers/PrintPath libtoolize`; echo libtool_prefix = `dirname $$n`/.. >> $@
  is not portable enough. One cannot directly guess from the prefix of
  libtoolize to the prefix for the remaining files.
  => look at GNU Pth and its use of "libtoolize -n -c -f" for the correct way.

o src/build/build.mk and other files have totally messed up copyright
  messages. Newlines are missing, trailing characters are missing, etc.
  => fix texts

o ./configure --help shows no descriptions for lots of options
  => add descriptions to Autoconf macro calls

o Under my FreeBSD 3.4 system "-D_REENTRANT -pthread" is used.
  Although the -D_REENTRANT does not harm, it is useless and
  unnecessary.
  => use -D_REENTRANT only on platforms where necessary

o iol_socket.c includes malloc.h which is a deprecated header.
  => stdlib.h should be used instead.

o there is no subdir movement display ("===>") for the MM library.
  => add a few echo's.

o The compiler flags like -pthread are not passed through to MM.
  => pass all flags in $CFLAGS

o there are empty src/include/{conf,explain}.h headers.
  => remove these

o there is an empty src/ap/ap_buf.c source.
  => remove this

o After "make install" and starting "apache" it segfaults on FreeBSD 3.4.
  | :> /tmp/apache/bin/apache
  | Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  | :> gdb /tmp/apache/bin/apache apache.core
  | GNU gdb 4.18
  | Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  | GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
  | welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
  | Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
  | There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
  | This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
  |
  | Core was generated by `apache'.
  | Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
  | Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2...done.
  | Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.3...done.
  | Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
  | #0  ap_palloc (c=0xbfbfd56c, reqsize=20) at apr_pools.c:838
  | 838         first_avail = blok->h.first_avail;

Yours,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com