httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: copyright on 2.0a
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2000 23:49:09 GMT
>It's under the modern BSD license, so you can basically do whatever you want.

True, but we don't like to maintain other people's code, and this stuff
must be maintained by the group.

>IANAL, I just need to retain the right to reuse this stuff in other projects.

That is part of our standard contributor license agreement (see below).
A pretty version will be distributed at the members meeting Saturday
for everyone to sign.  Actually, we may have two versions -- the other
one requiring that contributions be explicitly labeled as such -- based
on comments from one of the contributing companies lawyers.  I'll commit
both PDFs sometime tonight after the parties, assuming I don't collapse
from this stupid sinusitis.

But the signature can wait -- what is important is that you want to
give the ASF the nonexclusive right to make copies and derivative
works without having to go back to you every time we tweak the license.

....Roy

                 The Apache Software Foundation

                  Contributor License Agreement

Thank you for your interest in The Apache Software Foundation (the
"Foundation").  In order to clarify the intellectual property license
granted with contributions of software from any person or entity
(the "Contributor"), the Foundation would like to have a Contributor
License Agreement on file that has been signed by the Contributor,
indicating agreement to the license terms below.  This license is for
your protection as a Contributor of software to the Foundation and does
not change your right to use your own contributions for any other purpose.

If you have not already done so, please complete this Agreement
and send it by facsimile to the Foundation at +1-410-803-2258, or send a
photocopy by regular mail to The Apache Software Foundation,
1901 Munsey Drive, Forest Hill, MD 21050-2747, U.S.A.  Please read this
document carefully before signing and keep the original for your records.

Full
name:   ___________________________

Mailing
Address:___________________________   Telephone: ___________________

        ___________________________

        ___________________________   Facsimile: ___________________

        ___________________________

Country:___________________________   E-Mail:    ___________________

I hereby accept the following terms and conditions:

1. Your "Contributions" means all of your past, present and future
   contributions of object code, source code and documentation to the
   Foundation, however submitted to the Foundation.

2. You hereby grant to the Foundation a non-exclusive, irrevocable,
   worldwide, no-charge, transferable copyright license to use,
   execute, prepare derivative works of, and distribute (internally
   and externally, in object code and, if included in your
   Contributions, source code form) your Contributions.

3. You represent that you are legally entitled to grant the above
   license.  If your employer(s) have rights to intellectual property
   that you create, you represent that you have received permission
   to make the Contributions on behalf of that employer, or that your
   employer has waived such rights for your Contributions to the
   Foundation.

4. You represent that, except as disclosed in your Contribution
   submission(s), each of your Contributions is your original
   creation. You represent that your Contribution submission(s)
   include complete details of any license or other restriction
   (including, but not limited to, related patents and trademarks)
   associated with any part of your Contribution(s) (including a copy
   of any applicable license agreement). You agree to notify the
   Foundation of any facts or circumstances of which you become
   aware and which would make Your representations in this Agreement
   inaccurate in any respect.

5. You are not expected to provide support for your Contributions,
   except to the extent you desire to provide support. You may provide
   support for free, for a fee, or not at all. Your Contributions are
   provided AS-IS, without warranty of any kind (either express or
   implied) including, without limitation, any implied warranty of
   merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and any
   warranty of non-infringement.