httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main buff.c
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2000 02:41:41 GMT
On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 02:48:47PM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > Hmmm. So now, the buff calls return errors even when bytes have been
> > successfully read or written. This wasn't what you wanted to do
> > before.
>
> bwrite and bread do, sure.  but i didn't propagate that into the rest of
> the buffered operations...  dunno really, it was the only thing which made
> sense -- since i needed the info the whole way up the call chain.

OK, since I'm too lazy to figure this out...

Why is that error status needed immediately? With the old POSIX-like
behavior, the call chain would get APR_SUCCESS and the number of bytes
successfully written. It would process all that, be happy, then try to
read more and get the error. With this change, now the error is
propogated up immediately.

This is a good thing, but we were worried at one point that the rest
of the Apache code doesn't know how to deal with both bytes and an
error code.