httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: OS/390 specific directory in 2.0
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:21:47 GMT
> > > I don't agree that there is a need for os specific code that doesn't
> > > belong in APR
> >
> > Code to handle starting and stopping Apache as a service?
install/uninstall
> > service? Code to start and stop apache run from the command line?
>
> Last time i checked, these were all Windows issues, and Windows has it's
> own MPM.  Shouldn't all of these things go with the Windows MPM?

In my thinking, an MPM controls the creation and destruction of threads of
execution (execution contexts) and maps network requests to those execution
contexts. That is all an MPM should do IMO. Okay, maybe a few other things,
but this is the big one.  So sure, we could put all the Win32 os/src code
there, but it makes less sense to me than leaving it where it is. I'd rather
not clutter up the MPM  (witch is already confusing enough) with unrelated
code.

As always, I am open to a better way of doing things. I crave simplicity.

Bill