httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: OS/390 specific directory in 2.0
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:34:12 GMT
> > In 1.3 I see that there is src/os/os390...
> >
> > Any reason not to create src/os/os390 for 2.0?  I've seen
> > comments about people moving code from src/os/* to APR,
> > but surely there will always be src/os/various.
> >
> In an independent development effort (I was unaware of Ovies
> Brabson's) I got 1.3.9 running with patches to src/os/unix
> (some conditional compilation), rather than a separate os390
> directory.  Martin Kraemer rather approved of this effort in
> a private communication.  (After all, IBM says, "MVS _is_ UNIX" :-)
> Ovies equally disapproved.  I don't know how this fits with
> Martin's suggestion of an EBCDIC module.
>
> I favor os390=unix.
I agree (not being an OS/390 developer :-), but AS/400 and Windows are
definitely not Unix. The src/os/win32 directory has lots of Windows specific
stuff (a lot it is there to keep from cluttering up http_main.c) that is not
suitable for folding into APR. It seems senseless to gratuitously move it
'just because'.

Bill