httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: (Probabaly foolish) os.c/os.h question
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:16:18 GMT

> DSO loading belongs in it's own section of APR, but I haven't had time to
> do it.  It is something I have been talking about for about two months
> though.  :-)
+1

> IOL_Socket should be removed from the os/win directory and one of the
> iol_socket.c that uses APR (portable) should be moved to main.  One of the
> reasons Windows isn't using APR, is that a lot of the work that has been
> done to make things faster on Windows, was done outside of APR, because
> APR wasn't ready for that work when it was needed.  That work should all
> be moved to APR.
+1

> Filename canonicalization can either be done by Apache, or it can be part
> of the ap_file_t structure.  I don't really know how Apache-specific this
> is, because I assume that any project that has to read files on multiple
> platforms needs one file identification method, and then that filename
> needs to be canonicalized for the OS it is running on.

File canonicalization should remain in the application, not APR (but I am
open to the contrary argument). The need for canonicalized filenames is very
application specific. Apache needs it because URLs are by definition case
sensitive (i.e., /FILE.html is different from /file.html) and we need some
way of eliminating this case insensitivity for access checking when serving
content out of the file system.

Bill