httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:53:35 GMT
I would like the 2.0 NT warning text to read something more like this:

The Apache Software Foundation works to ensure that the Win32 port works on
all 32 bit flavors of Windows, that is, Windows 95, 98, NT and 2000.
However, ASF does not endorse deploying the Apache web server on Windows 95
or 98.  Inherent weaknesses in the cooperative multitasking architecture of
the consumer Windows platforms (Windows 95, 98 and Millenium) expose certain
vulnerabilities that cannot be addressed by any single application.  Windows
NT and 2000, being preemptively multitasking platforms (programs grab the
CPU in turn, they don't simply request it), are more reliable and secure in
their exposure to the internet.

As new versions of Windows (specifically Windows 2000 and the forthcoming
Millenium release) are created, we actively solicit contributions of
incompatibilities that are introduced.  Further, for the first months
following a new release of any OS, we solicit reports of success with
compatibility.  Once a threshold of users report that the platform is
stable, we will declare Apache to be compatible with the Operating Systems.
If you would like to share your success or failure, please search for your
issue in the bug database, ask the newsgroup:

While many users have found success in deploying Apache within the Windows
OS family, ASF still cautions that the platform is an adjunct to the Unix
code base, and some functions were implemented with unique code.  Apache 2.0
is being developed with the active participation of NT platform developers,
so it will share more of the same code and functionality.  Therefore it will
earn additional trust by the ASF that the Windows performs to the standards
of the Unix implementations measured by security and reliability.

Please start by searching the BugDB with