httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Replacement of WARNING.NT proposed
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:14:01 GMT
Pre Alpha-2.0 - would anyone else (esp. Mr. Stoddard & other big Win32
contributors) please comment aye or nay (or at least offer changes.)  If we
will really be releasing a solid Win32 build this time, it's time for
WARNING-NT to go.

Replace WARNING-NT.TXT with a new WIN32-READ-ME.TXT (rev 0.13) proposed by
      James Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]
      William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@lnd.com]

> The Apache Software Foundation developed the Apache WWW server for
> portability between OS (Operating System) platforms.  Apache
> originated on
> the Unix platforms as a replacement for the historic NCSA
> httpd server.
> Although Apache has been ported to the OS/2, Win32 and Novell
> platforms, the
> original Unix implementations remain the benchmark for stability.
>
> ASF supports the Windows NT/2000 platforms in tandem with our
> many others,
> and we handle problems encountered with the Win32 port (both
> Windows 95/98
> and Windows NT/2000 families) the same way as any other
> supported platform.
> Apache 2.0 was developed in parallel on all currently
> supported platforms,
> and a greater proportion of the code is shared between all
> platforms than
> any previous Apache version.  ASF continues to work to ensure
> that the Win32
> port achieves parity with the most widely adopted Apache/Unix
> implementations.
>
> Microsoft designed the Windows 95/98 family as a consumer or client
> operating system.  In particular Windows 95 and 98 lack the security
> features found in the Windows NT/2000 platforms.  ASF does
> not advise the
> use of Windows 95 or 98 as a server platform except for small-scale,
> protected environments (an isolated LAN intranet, for example, or for
> testing a prototype WWW site.)
>
> As with all Unix platforms, we advise Windows users to
> frequently review the
> OS vendor's security bulletins, available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/security, to assess and avert
> potential risks in
> the unprotected environment of the internet.
>
> Before submitting any reports, first research your problem by
> searching the
> bug database at http://bugs.apache.org/.  If your issue isn't
> there, next
> search news:comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows.  You may
> well find that
> the problem has already been discovered, and perhaps
> resolved, or it is
> really a configuration mistake that another user has tripped
> over.  Once you
> are sure that you have discovered a new issue that is not
> addressed, please
> follow the next two guidelines.
>
> Any SECURITY RISK exposed by the Apache web server needs to
> be reported by
> following the directions at
http://apache.org/security_report.html.  It is
in everyone's interest that the ASF has an opportunity to identify the risk
and address it with a fix before it is publicly disseminated.  If your issue
concerns a security risk, ignore the last guideline.

Once you are sure you discovered a brand new problem, please post it to
news:comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows and follow the discussion over
the next few days.  Please don't expect instant responses, nor personal
emails, since these defeat the opportunity for others to read and comment on
the problem.  If you do not get an answer, or there is agreement within the
newsgroup that the problem represents a bug (and not a user's configuration
error), please proceed and post the bug (with the fix, if available) to
http://bugs.apache.org/ so the issue can be addressed.

Finally, if you are successful in running Apache as an early adopter of the
initial or pre-release of a new Win32 platform, please post a "bug" report
to that effect, with the subject: "Apache/Win32 tested on Windows 2002" and
mention any problems you may have encountered, and the workaround you used
to solve them.

Working within the Unix and Windows communities, there will always be
debates over which platform is better.  Both have proven themselves to be
viable large volume transactional systems for specific applications when
configured by competent engineers.  Each offers its own strengths and
weaknesses.  Many on the Apache team do not use Windows themselves, and
there are a few distinctions between the systems that cannot be eliminated.
The Apache team includes NT advocates who work tirelessly to assure that the
platform is well represented and supported.  As the entire Apache team is
working to a common goal, flames about NT vs. Unix do not help argue the
case for users'
suggestions, bug reports or patch submissions.