httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: 2.0 on UNIX gets SIGSEGV if no SysV semaphores avail
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:11:31 GMT
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:
> > . Can the caller of semget() log an error message?
> >
> >   Almost no apr code writes to the apache log; the stuff that
> >   does is kind of ugly (inside ifdef APACHE).
> >

> APR is not tied to Apache, and therefore does not know about the Apache
> log.  There is one place that this rule is broken, inside of ap_palloc and
> it's helper functions, because traditionally, these functions have
> reported an error and died.  This is what Apache expects, but it is a bad
> idea for anybody else.  For any new functions, APR reports an error by
> returning an error code.

Didn't we get a callback in there? In other words, does APR still die, or
just Apache (via the callback) die?

I would also tend to agree with Ryan: if APR has sufficient/proper return
codes, then it shouldn't ever need to log. The caller should do the
logging when it is returned an error.

Cheers,
-g

--