httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: 2.0 on UNIX gets SIGSEGV if no SysV semaphores avail
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:09:50 GMT

This isn't really an issue.  The Apache log functions should be able to
deal with APR status codes very soon.  I haven't had a chance to work on
this recently, but it is comming.  This should minimize any information
loss.

Ryan

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 trawick@us.ibm.com wrote:

> >APR is not tied to Apache, and therefore does not know about
> >the Apache log.
>
> That makes perfect sense to me, but I'm concerned about the loss of
> information.
>
> A log entry that says semget() failed (probably with the unfortunate text
> "No space left on device" but perhaps with the text "Function not
> implemented" if you built your *BSD or Linux kernel by hand but had no
> business doing so) will put the administrator on the right track, or at
> least provide useful input to google.
>
> The callers can't make that leap because they don't/shouldn't know that a
> SysV semaphore is being used, and it becomes hard to put something in the
> log that would put the administrator on the right track.
>
> Perhaps an apr app could optionally provide a call-back function to apr,
> which would then be used to log certain types of errors?
>
> Jeff Trawick, trawick@us.ibm.com
> IBM SecureWay (nee' eNetwork) Software Support:
> ->http://www-4.ibm.com/software/network/commserver/support/
> OS/390 UNIX - Frequently Asked Questions:
> ->http://www.s390.ibm.com/oe/bpxqarc.html

Conference!!!   <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

2121 Stonehenge Dr. Apt #3
Raleigh, NC 27615		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.