httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: announcement
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:39:36 GMT
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > My point was: sure, the website is visible to everybody, but we don't have
> > to explicitly *announce* it (via announce@apache.org or Slashdot) for 24
> > hours.
> >
> > Sure, people will find the update on www.apache.org and download. Goody
> > for them. But the majority of people may not notice it until we send out
> > the announcements; therefore, apache.org and its mirrors don't get the BIG
> > traffic until we announce 24 hours later (after a propagation has
> > occurred).
> >
> > Another way to say it: because you put the announcement on Slashdot, you
> > have exacerbated the problem of the mirrors not being up to date.
>
> I'm not sure I agree. Maybe because I see the /. submissions. All
> I know is that as soon as the site reflects the new version, the
> word spreads like crazy. And if I didn't announce it, then I
> would have been overruled I'm certain and someone else would
> have posted the announcement. I had no idea that the announcement
> was not going out soon after the update.

No problem! Mostly, I think that I was just asking for consistency between
the announcements (one early, one delayed). Also, that if we are trying to
delay to let the mirrors catch up, then we can avoid certain forums to
help delay the inevitable :-)

Truly, I think Marc's point is best: do we really need to wait on the
announcements? Are people really slamming the mirrors looking for the
code, not finding it, then turning and smacking ours? And in all this
spamming against the servers, are people *actually* causing a problem?

In other words, what's the traffic spike (if any) look like? Should we
ever bother with delaying the announcement?

> And it's not like I
> wanted some sort of exclusive if that's being implied.

Never implied! Interesting viewpoint, but it's a misread :-)

And hey: you owe the first round of beer, too. I think Manoj claimed the
second, so I'll settle for springing for the third round :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/