httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Could Apache act as it's own config tool?
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:18:56 GMT
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> John Wojtowicz wrote:
> >
> > All this talk of Apache config tools, made me wonder...
> >
> > Has the apache team ever considered adding features to apache to
> > help it act as its own config tool, via a web based interface?
> > (i.e. a new member of command_rec to convert current apache configuration
> > to directive text, maybe something like char *(*revfunc)(), and
> > functions to allow apache to modify it's configuration on the fly, etc.)
> >
> > doing so would allow it (as a config tool) to know *ALL* the
> > directives of it and it's modules, the context in which they were
> > used (per directory, per server, etc.) by the server via the httpd.conf.
> >
> > also could provide basis for remote configuration, and help with
> > high availability, etc.
> >

> IMO the idea is good but doesn't work in real life.  I mean what if you
> totally broke your Apache config (humans still make mistakes that no
> computer can out-guess).  Then you couldn't ever configure Apache again!

Yes...

How about a "config_module"? After all, mod_perl already allows various
clever scripty things to be done in httpd.conf; presumably a combination
of an Apache::Registry CGI-type interface, and a Perl backend to store the
resulting configuration. This way, you could use "-f failsafe.conf" if you
screw everything up (so you can still edit the configuration through the
WWW interface, but with a minimal known-good configuration.)

James.