httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:26:33 GMT
(snip)

> My biggest problem with building a multi-tier webserver installation is
> that after a while there are just too many tiers. At the moment I am
> looking at using Apache's reverse proxy to enforce our URL strategy (ie
> to publish ASP, Java, SSI, PHP pages on the same virtual host), then
> another tier to do compression, and another tier to do load balancing.

I don't know if this is a viable solution for you, but there are level 7
switches which can do two of the three in hardware (load balancing and URL
redirection), leaving a single Apache layer to do compression.

Essentially, you would have a single IP address for the server, to which
requests would be sent; the switch handles the initial connection, and
then passes it to the appropriate backend server based on the URL
and/or server stats (much like mod_proxy with load balancing).

Each of the backend servers then emits compressed data, meaning a single
extra layer here.

Still a complicated solution, I know, but very scalable, and without the
performance hit three layers of software handling would introduce.

> Yuck.
>
> If Apache can do all of this in a single layer it would be great.

James Sutherland.