httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: mod_mmap_static translation hook is never called
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 11:28:47 GMT
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Tony Finch wrote:
> "Bill Stoddard" <stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >Yes, I know why mod_mmap needs the hook.
>
> That was more for my own benefit -- thinking it through out loud...
>
> >I don't want to add an extra hook either. I was hoping for a
> >breakthrough in-sight. Bleh, it's as bad as I thought...
>
> Yeah.
>
> It occured to me later that the directory walking stuff which happens
> around this point would need to be abstracted out if you wanted to use
> a non-filesystem document store like a database or (!) mod_mmap_static.
> It's still a bit pie in the sky but it makes the extra hook look less
> pointless.

That stuff in there is kind of a pain in the butt. You can't really avoid
it, and (conversely) you can't call it when you need to. Urk.

mod_dav can operate against a database, so we've seen some of these
problems. I haven't concentrated on it too hard because the database code
is either in early development (some MySQL stuff) or some proprietary
stuff that I haven't seen (sigh).

One of the other hook-related things that I've seen is telling Apache to
perform an authentication check. Currently, Apache will only go through
the motions if there is a "require" statement. Under the WebDAV protocol,
there are cases where people can/should be able to operate anonymous
(meaning "require" shouldn't be applied to that method(s)), yet we need to
later force an authentication to occur (so we can perform some
authorization). In particular, take the POST method. Normally, anybody can
do this. However, if somebody performs a LOCK on the CGI (or a parent
resource), then POST requires the lock-token and an authentication before
allowing the POST through. Basically, Apache doesn't quite give us the
hooks for this. I decided to blow it off for 1.3, but will dig into 2.0
once I start moving mod_dav over to the 2.0 framework.
( just a heads up re: hooks )

Cheers,
-g

--