httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <sander-new-ht...@mp3.com>
Subject HTTP Router/Proxy (was Re: Bug Report 5671 - CGI Deadlock)
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:20:34 GMT
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > i'm pretty sure squid is full duplex... but i doubt mod_proxy is.  even
> > SSL doesn't require full-duplex, it just has a few back-and-forths which
> > fit inside most reasonably sized buffers.
> > to do this stuff properly really requires poll/select and careful state
> > machine programming.
> > it's ironic this topic is coming up right now... i just got my hands on
> > the early bind9 code and they've got a really nice async i/o abstraction
> > in it which could be used to build a really nice proxy.  the pieces are
> > coming together :)
> Hrmm, I'm really interested in this.  The reason I started poking around
> with Apache 2.0 is that I am writing a buffering HTTP proxy to allow a
> higher request rate between Apache 1.3 servers and clients on
> connections of varying speeds.  Clearly I would rather leverage solid
> open source code than maintain my own.  I remember hearing that async
> i/o isn't going to make it into 2.0, but if a third party (bind) comes
> up with something nice that can be generalized for Apache, that would be
> a huge leap forward for HTTP server technology.

We have had similar plans to write a slim http-router/proxy type server to
handle low-bandwidth clients without tie-ing up the larger dynamic server.

If we can add in async i/o and have this be an open source tools/project
the better for everyone.

-
Sander van Zoest                                             sander@mp3.com
High Geek                                                    (858) 623-7442
MP3.com, Inc.  						http://www.mp3.com/
		Your premiere Music Service Provider (MSP)