httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2000 18:03:22 GMT
On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Daniel Lange wrote:

> At 17:24 03.02.00 , you wrote:
> >I can see the confusion with 'AddDefaultCharset Default' not being
> >the same as the "default" value when AddDefaultCharset isn't
> >set... Basically, I was looking for an easy way to enable it and
> >default it without the user having to type the iso-xxxx stuff.
> >But AddDefaultCharset On looked too binary.

...right, which is one of the reasons I used two directives in the first
place.  That, plus it simply seems cleaner not overloading one directive
to have two different functions, when the code makes it obvious that there
are two different things going on.

> How about adding
> AddDefaultCharset iso-8859-1
> as a standard line to conf/http.conf(.default|-dist) to people either
> just have it (new install) or only need to copy it (upgrade).

That doesn't really address the issue.  We do not want it to default to
being enabled and having it default to being enabled would be very very
very broken behaviour for a webserver and would cause a lot of people a
lot of pain.