httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <>
Subject Re: 1.3.6 -> 1.3.11 giving problems
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:30:19 GMT
Wilfredo Sanchez <> wrote:
>  Hrm.  DNS constraints apply to Internet hosts which care to be
>found via DNS, not "all TCP/IP apps".  There are other name services
>available that may not have that constraint and are commonly used in
>intranets.  Why is Apache enforcing limitations imposed by DNS?

It isn't a DNS restriction, it's a restriction on Internet host names.
DNS names that do not refer to hosts don't have to meet the syntax.
The restriction dates from before DNS, and I would expect that hosts
on the Internet located via other databases should conform to the same
naming syntax.

The reason for the change was that the mass vhosting stuff that I did
(mod_vhost_alias and the recipes for mod_rewrite) didn't validate
hostnames and therefore allowed people to get at file outside the
document tree by using a suitably constructed Host: header. The
obvious solution was to properly check the Host: header using the spec
in the RFCs.

Marc did suggest that this was too restrictive a syntax, but I
couldn't think of a better one than following the standard.

View raw message