httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Khimenko Victor" <apache-de...@khim.sch57.msk.ru>
Subject Re: AddDefaultCharset
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2000 18:24:13 GMT
4-Feb-00 08:39 you wrote:
JJ> The *conf*dist files should include that, commented out, of course.

JJ> Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> Um, sorry, forgot to add:
>>
>> why not ship the default config with
>>
>> AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
>>
>> so that it is explicit and easy enough to change to 'none' or whatever the
>> site needs?

Hmm. I'm not sure if my comment is stupid or not (I lost my mail for January
so I've not seen start of discussion). But anyway: do you know that if you
have charset= in HTTP headers of server answer AND in .html file (as META) both
Netscape and MS IE will use charset from .html file and NOT from HTTP server
answer ? All versions: from ancient 2.x to Netscape Communicator 4.x ...
MS IE is also affected (though I'm not exactly sure which versions: I'm not
use this beast much; MS IE 4.0 and 5.0 looks unaffected)... This is real
problem for russian web sites so mod_charset even has special handler to strip
out all <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" tags from .html document on the fly
(typical scenario: someone uploaded page, created with MS Frontpage where
there are no way to remove that nasty tag from document; document is recoded
from koi8-r to windows-1251 in process and sent document as "text/html;
charset=windows-1251"... all looks good so far ? except that Netscape will
show document using koi8-r fonts and not windows-1251 so document can not be
read). Netscape Communictor 4.7 is mostly fixed (after FEW YEARS of regular
complains from russian users!) but not fully (see
http://nagual.pp.ru/~ache/koi8/n4w95.html#bug_list for more info).

P.S. Not sure how deep implications exist for this problem. May be only
few lines in documentation, may be more.