httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2000 14:42:35 GMT

> Graham Leggett writes...
>
>  Features I am aiming for in the complete implementation include:
>
>  - Optional on-the-fly file compression support:
>
>  Using content-encoding the module will optionally compress on the fly
>  data from certain specifiable MIME types (such as text/html and
>  text/plain, but not image/jpeg). This way Apache can be used as an
>  accelerator (literally) in front of dynamic generated websites that
>  produce large amounts of text data that normally gets sent uncompressed.

Already been done ( over a year ago ).

It's called the RCTPDS Content Reduction Proxy Server.

See any of the following links...

http://207.235.6.184/ <- Has lead-in demo
http://207.235.6.184/homepage.htm <- Skip the demo, pick RCTPDS link
http://www.rctp.com
http://www.remotecommunications.com/t1000.htm
http://207.235.6.184/rctpdsc1.gif

>  - Optional on-the-fly image filtering support:
>
>  It will be possible to filter images as they pass through the proxy, eg
>  change color GIFs or jpegs into monochrome for the benefit of a "low
>  bandwidth" version of a website.

Also aready being done. See above links. The same servers can
identify User-Agent capabilites and scale/tailor the content for
any wired or wireless device.

There are some method patents that apply in these areas
that I don't think are compatible with your software licensing
unless Apache is willing to sign licensing deals for new
features covered by method patents.

During the firestorm regarding these issues a while back
we were invited by 2 high level Apache group members
to attend ApacheCon and talk about all this. The invitation
was withdrawn shortly thereafter. If the group is now willing
to admit that is something worthwhile and is considering
re-visiting these issues is it too late to talk about all
this in person at ApacheCon?

Yours...
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.