httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: XML configuration for Apache 2.0? Proposal.
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:58:45 GMT
Fabien COELHO wrote:
<snip>
> > Has the configuration for Apache 2.0 changed to support XML?
> > Specifically because with XML Schema I really think this will lend
> > itself to a GUI based configuration fairly easily.
> >
> > This would be a good bootstrap into someday configuring Apache with raw
> > XML instead of the current format.
>
> Sure, but it would also rule out "human ascii-based file configuration",

No it wouldn't.  XML is a human readable format... last I checked :).
It would just be slightly different than the current format.

> which must not be broken IMVHO.

I am not advocating breaking it.  I want to fix it.  If I feed the
current Apache what it expects then it would have no idea that it
originally came from an XML file.

> XML is good for automatic processing, but
> you don't want to write this by hand. Moreover XML put constraints on the
> lexical stuff in configuration directives, which do not hold at the time.

If you have a cross platform, robust GUI, why would you *ever* touch the
config by hand.  Honestly a lot of people waste a lot of time with
Apache configurations.  It has swallowed days of my life when I have to
config a very advanced apache config (like the one we have now)

> > Thoughts?
>
> Don't use XML for configuring apache. Parse and generate directives
> from a GUI. Or write a "converter" if you want to.
>
> I hope that your suggestion, which has already been discussed, won't make
> it to apache. And I'll take every opportunity to express my strong
> disagreement;-)

If it isn't currently being considered then this will just be an
alternative.

--

Kevin A Burton
http://relativity.yi.org