httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <>
Subject Re: 'Apache on {Beowolf,clusters}'
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 21:03:00 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm getting more and more requests about whether/how Apache
> > > will run on clusters.  It's becoming a FAQ.  Does anyone have
> > > any documentation on using Apache in such configurations, or
> > > on performance?  Dean? :-)
> >
> > Why would anyone want to do this?  Why not put a ton of Apache boxes
> > behind a LocalDirector or any other of the billions of load balancers.
> >
> I had the same question.  I don't know anything about Beowolf clustering,
> but if you could establish a fast comm link (at bus speeds for example)
> between the CPUs in the cluster, seems you could build some really scalable
> web server farms (with appropriate modifications to Apache to exploit the
> cluster).  Has anyone ever considered putting a CPU and some RAM on a PCI
> card, installing Linux and Apache? Seems you could scale this quite nicely.
> The PCI card Apache (with a kernel level cache?) could serve the static
> content and off-load dynamic content to a back-end server. Or visa-versa.
> The combinations are limitless. I'm suprised no one has turned this into a
> business :-)
> Bill

My gut reaction is that this wouldn't help.  HTTP servers are usuually
not CPU intensive.  Taking a file and putting it through a socket isn't
CPU bound.  However you see HTTP servers with 100% CPU because it has
5000 users.

There is no way I can see of scaling this across more than say 2 - 4

Kevin A Burton
Senior Software Engineer
Kendara Inc
Mobile:  408-910-6145
Linux - The revolution will NOT be televised

View raw message