httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 18:23:18 GMT
James Sutherland wrote:

> I must admit, it's not a solution I would consider ideal...
>
> What about using Squid as a frontend? It could (with a rewriter) handle
> both the load-balancing and URL-based proxying easily enough, while Apache
> would handle all the backend work. Squid can also produce full logs.
>
> That's probably the way I would do it (depending, of course, on the exact
> circumstances: how many servers? What bandwidth? etc.)

When I last checked squid couldn't write split logfiles, handle URL
redirects, password protect arbitrary URLs or support SSL (direct SSL,
not SSL tunneling), these are all webserver functions. Squid is a
forward proxy first, with an http accelerator bolted on. Apache is a
webserver first  with a reverse_proxy bolted in. This to us makes a
world of difference.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon