httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: 'Apache on {Beowolf,clusters}'
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:15:29 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I'm getting more and more requests about whether/how Apache
> will run on clusters.  It's becoming a FAQ.  Does anyone have
> any documentation on using Apache in such configurations, or
> on performance?  Dean? :-)

Why would anyone want to do this?  Why not put a ton of Apache boxes
behind a LocalDirector or any other of the billions of load balancers.

The benefit of Beowolf is in the processing power.  There is a huge
amount of configuration time and to take advantage of Beowolf's power
you really have to target your application for this.

My suggestion would be to make a "virtual" cluster by just having a ton
of Apache boxes with the same content.  I don't see any reason why
Beowolf would give you an advantage.

--

Kevin A Burton
http://relativity.yi.org