httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:11:04 GMT
James Sutherland wrote:

> I don't know if this is a viable solution for you, but there are level 7
> switches which can do two of the three in hardware (load balancing and URL
> redirection), leaving a single Apache layer to do compression.

I know, but hardware is proprietry, expensive and too limiting. For
example, we also need split logfiles handling, one per virtual host, on
the frontend, there is no guarantee this is possible.

So far we have found putting Apache in front of our webserver has killed
a whole lot of birds with one stone for us. The fact that we have the
source code enables us to build in the extras we don't have, and fix the
bugs we encounter as we go along. Having been down the proprietry
software layer route already with disasterous consequences I really
don't want to go that way again.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon